- Public Speaking
- Event Organising
- Line Management
- Project Management
- Scrum Master
- Code Reviews
- Java (client + server)
- Scripting - Groovy, PHP, Bash, Ruby
- Performance monitoring & debugging
- L3 Customer Support
- Customer Training
- Product Delivery
- Customer Documentation
- Spring / Spring Boot
- Tomcat & Jetty
- Cucumber & Mockito
- Swing & Netbeans RCP
- SQL - MySQL, Postgress & Oracle
- Hadoop & HBase
- Unix, Windows, Mac
Eagle Point Partners
Software Eng, February 2017-Present
Eagle Point Partners is a data analytics consultancy organisation providing social media analytics.
Eagle Point own a web-based app to allow customers analyse social media spend and performance.
- Developed connectors to download ad spend and performance.
- Leading outsourcing team - hiring developers on UpWork, managing scrum sprints.
Irish Tech News
Contributing Writer, July 2016-Present
Write on developments in HealthTech, Health2.0, Quantified Self and Biohacking.
Responsibilities included attending HealthTech conferences, interviewing speakers and entrepreneurs in the space.
Meetup Organiser, July 2015-Present
The Quantified Self meetup is for self-trackers in health, fitness and wearable technology.
- Organised 14+ events in Dublin, including booking speakers & locations
- Public speaking – in Dublin & at international conferences
- Marketing of events – social media & blogging
- Workshops in Dublin and at international conferences
- Doubled size of meetup group – from 300 to over 600.
- Represented at workshops in international conferences.
Development Team Lead, May 2014-May 2016
Synchronoss Technologies is a world leader in cloud technologies for communication service providers.
- Lead developer/Scrum Master on multiple Data Centre migration projects.
- Working with teams of up to 4 people, with average 10 years of experience.
- Hiring & training team.
- Design & development of data centre migration product to ingest customer data from 3rd party system.
- Deploying & troubleshooting Synchronoss micro-service based cloud application across large VM grid (100+ VMs).
- Technologies - Java, Spring, MySQL, Unix, scripting, Cassandra, memcache, Cucumber, Mockito, Wireshark, Fabric.
- Documentation – internal and external facing.
Amdocs/Changing Worlds,September 2004-April 2014
Amdocs is the market leader in Telecommunications billing software. Changing Worlds delivers mobile internet solutions to the telecoms industry.
Changing Worlds was acquired by Amdocs in 2008.
Team Lead - R&D, Nov 13-April 2014
- Lead developer on Big Data analytics integration project. Project involved integrating Changing Worlds big data analytics engine with Amdocs CRM systems – to allow Mobile Telecom operators better understand their customers and extract value from their data.
- Engineer/scrum master in cross-functional agile team, which delivers working software in each two-week sprint. Sprints managed in Atlassian Greenhopper.
- Working with teams of up to 6 people in project integration teams; and up to 4 people in regular projects.
- Developed in Hadoop, HBase, PIG and data analytic algorithms.
- As technical point of contact between on and offshore teams, I've established improved communications and knowledge transfer which has reduced feature delays.
Customer Technical Support Lead, Feb 11-Nov13
- Onsite lead for all customer support issues in APAC region, based in Kuala Lumpur & remote lead for team in Melbourne, Australia.
- Maintain the customer support level agreement.
- Line management, hiring and reporting to the Dublin office.
- Preemptive monitoring of customer platforms.
- Continuous feedback on the products to product managers on both maintainability and customer feedback.
- Developed and maintained strong relations with local customers.
- End-of-life activities for the Malaysian office – included maintaining a local presence for existing customers, pre-sales for the APAC region and delivery of new CRs.
- Diagnose, fix and patch helpdesks raised. Issues ranged from troubleshooting minor issues to major performance/stability issues. Technologies included Java, Unix (Solaris & Linux), GC tuning, XSL, networking, Oracle, bash, awk, Websphere, Weblogic, Tomcat & Jetty.
- As the only on-site company representative in Malaysia, drove a customer integration project with Spotify from initial specifications, through PO sign-off, development and project delivery. Project delivered as per specification, on time and on budget.
- Successfully resolved significant performance & stability problems – involving full stack of server side technologies. Maintained strong customer relationships throughout.
- Helped customers realize full value of current deployments through evaluating current deployments and suggesting new use-cases and improvements.
Team Lead - R&D Malaysia, FEB 10-Feb11
- Team leading R&D team onsite in Malaysia
- Engineer/scrum master in cross-functional agile team.
- Development technologies included Java, back-end, Swing, Spring, Jetty, bash, awk.
- Successfully lead offshore team develop new device management product for the core Changing Worlds product portfolio.
Senior Software Engineer - R&D, Sep 04-FEB10
- Team leading off-shore teams in Malaysia & India.
- Hiring, mentoring & training new engineers.
- Project management of R&D project across offshore sites.
- Working in a scrum/agile environment.
- Worked closely with product management in requirements analysis and UI design.
- Member of HCI (human computer interaction) group – overseeing all UI product updates.
- Involved in introducing new processes – included roll out of new code reviewing tools, technical interview tests, knowledge sharing sessions & project estimation.
- Development technologies included in Java, Unix, Swing, XSL, Oracle, Scripting, Tomcat.
- Set upnew R&D center in India. Included hiring, training, line management and travel.
- Key member involved in doubling the size of the Dublin R&D team post Amdocs acquisition.
- Involved in hiring, training.
- Delivered new UI based XSL development environment. Product instrumental in reducing development times for new mobile portals.
emuse Technologies,June 02-sep 04
Emuse produces development tools for interactive television applications on set top boxes.
- Developed Java based video playback interface to emulate a television set top box.
- Technologies included Java, XML, JNI, C++, JMF, Java 2D, Swing, J2EE, UML, JUnit.
Worked And Traveled in australia, Oct 00-Dec 01
Marconi LTD,Nov 99-SEP 00
Marconi was a global telecommunications company providing hardware and software solutions for the communication and telecommunications industry.
- Developed client GUI interface to a web based network administration tool.
- Technologies included Java, Swing, CORBA, JDBC, Apache, UML, UNIX.
Econostat LTD,Jan 98-Oct 99
Econostat was a UK based fund management company that used internally developed software models to predict trends in the financial markets.
- Developed proprietary in house UI & financial analysis software.
- Technologies included Java, Swing, JDBC, MySQL, C, JNI, VB, scripting, UNIX.
Qualifications & Education
2016 Business Blogging Course
2016 Neuro Linguistic Practitioner
2016 Acting & Improv Comedy
2015 Growth Hacking Workshop
2015 Public Speaking, acting, improv comedy
2012 Line Management
2012 Agile Software Development
2010 Java Extreme Training
2008 Team Leading
2002 UML Object Orientated Design
2002 Java Certification
1997 MSc. Eng. Computation, Queens University Belfast
1996 BEng, Aeronautical Eng. 2.2 Hons., Queens University Belfast
1988 - 93 Monkstown CBC, Dublin.